I am no Molly Mormon. So... am I ok?

A Molly Mormon is a term for the popular stereotype of a female member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). She is thought to be the "perfect Mormon woman". Her children are well-behaved, she home cans goods straight from her garden, she knits, sows, she gives away selfmade scrapbooking cards and she prepares amazing lessons.(She is not me.)

Not a common "Molly Mormon" interest
There are quite a few women who seem to be this perfect version and we look to them as something we cannot achieve. Thing is, I can't knit, I can't sow - I can almost hear the sewing machine make this *Mohahaha* laughter when I come close, because something goes wrong within seconds and I achieve nothing. I have never canned anything and my garden consists, as of now, a Rosmary. In addition, my health is not perfect, so I am striving to do the everyday things, and I constantly feel I am not doing enough in most parts of my life, as a wife, as a mother, as a friend, as a member of the church, as a neighbour... the list goes on and on. And I don't watch cooking shows on TV, I watch nerdy stuff, like Dr. Who. (And this is not the last time you hear that name on my blog - *smile*) And my husband thinks it is quite quirky when I, unlike other women who take holiday pictures, take pictures of cars. I can't help it, I am more facinated by cars than floral displays.

 . 

I am not what you would call a Molly Mormon, and allthough there are women out there, super at canning, sewing, quilting and housewify stuff, I actually do not feel that I am not what I should be. We need not be what we think is perfect. I am sure we all have some creative powers in us and how we use it, is as different as we are. So you like to quilt - wonderful! I like to take pictures or write. So you like to paint, or sing, or garden, or... there are so many different ways to be creative. Some manage a lot of diverse crafts. Some do not. We need not be alike. We need not be as good as another. There will always be someone out there better than us, that is no reason to not do something, at the same time there will always be someone who we are better than, but who cares, really? Well, probably most of us, but we really shouldn't. We need to find value in ourselves, as we are. 

If we live our lives in tune with the gospel, we will continue to become better versions of ourselves. And remember that - better verions of ourselves, not anybody else. We are who we are, and we should always strive to become a little better, but it will always be within the frame that is us. 


And you know,  knitting is not a celestial value, neither is quilting.  And just because you are different, does not mean you are not good enough. My point today is simply that we are 15 million members spread around the world, that means we are 15 million individuals. Different in so many ways, but we have the gospel in common. It is not wrong to not have the abilities that we see in others. But we all have abilities. We need just find ours and cultivate them with the time and means that we have. We are already good enough and still we will always become better, bit by bit, by trusting in our Heavenly Father and his map, the gospel. It does not matter where we are on the map. It will show us the way home, no matter where we are, if we but follow it. And along the way, do not think that your road home is less than the others around you, we all have different paths and different roads. We never now what is around the next bend, but if we keep following the map, we will come home and all will be well. 

Happy Sunday, 

Katinka

If you want to follow my blog, find me on facebook:
   My Mormon journey and life


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If the Church was just lies...

Why I decided to not go on a mission - and the reason why I went.

Days like today are stupid