Why I decided to not go on a mission - and the reason why I went.


As a convert to the church, I decided I would not serve a mission. I mean, what did I know to tell others in the world about the gospel? I had just been a member for two years and I felt that the more I learned, the more I discovered there was more to be learned. I felt I didn't have the knowledge that I would need to enable me to do it. 

In addition, a far more worldly reason, I loved music and I loved dancing. I took dance classes and I loved the way music made me happy, gave me energy, gave me solace... well, I just simply loved music. How could I live 18 months without music?!?
I knew to pray about my decision, so I did. I did not get a warm, fuzzy feeling, but neither did I feel that dark feeling that I had come to know when something wasn;t right. So I did not rethink my decision. 

At this time, I was studying media, and I applied for a position at the Universitys TV channel, known to be a spring board to our national TV channel in the city. I came to the interview and it turns out the guy interviewing me, and I  had a lot in common and we ended up chatting for a long time. I got the position. We were starting training to be in front of camera and I also needed to sign a binding contract. I was thrilled at the opportunity to do this! Life was exiting!

But the mission thing had not left my mind. One day I decided to pray the other way round, just to be sure. So instead of saying, "I have decided to not go on a mission, is this right?", I instead said: " Do you want me to go on a mission?" 
 WHAM!
  The spirit came to me strong and sure. I was stunned! "Oh, no! I need to go on a mission!" Then a few more seconds passed and I was more calm inside. "I am going on a mission?" And then a few more seconds and joy started to grow. "Wow! I am going on a mission!!" And just like that. One minute ago I did not want to go and then suddenly I was going AND I was exited about it!  

Broughty Ferry, Scotland

But then, what about the contract I was about to sign, my dream of working in the media? It was a tough decision, but I decided to decline the offer after all. It was not an easy thing to do, but it was neccesary if I was to go on a mission.
But blessings come from unexpected places, and not long after, I got offered a position on a local radio station. I got to cover movies, entertainment and play music for the world, the local one at least. I loved it. Not having to be in front of the TV camera, but sit in the studio and be a whole more relaxed, was a whole other thing. It suited me perfectly!

But what about the knowledge? I still did not know a particle of what I felt I needed to know to enable me to share the gospel. But I knew one thing; I had a testimony. And I could share that testimony with anyone who was willing to listen.

One is never outlearned on the gospel, there is ever more to learn, and I love it! I am so grateful for the opportunity that I had to go on a mission. I learnt more than would be possible without. Because I experienced things that could not be read in a book. Things that set my testimony in stone forever. 

Not everyone has the opportunity to go, and I think it is important to not judge anyone for not going, we do not know the circumstances why, or maybe we think we do, but there are so many wonderful, gospel strong people out there that have not served missions. Know that you are loved for all you are. 

If you however are among those who still have the opportunity to go, but are not sure. Think no more. In the words of NIKE:

JUST DO IT!

  
 

Comments

  1. So happy to know you, Katinka. You are an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea! Great story. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good old Broughty Ferry! Excited to see you soon. You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If the Church was just lies...

Days like today are stupid